For a long time now I’ve wanted to be able to display my figures in suitable settings, this has lead me to create multiple backdrops to different degrees of success, but I’m happy to say that each iteration has improved on the one before.
First it started with all cardboard, just printing off images for backgrounds from the web and trying to prop them up with some questionable stands behind them, they were rough, but these pieces had their charm. This was my first attempt for pictures on this site. I really liked it, but sadly it was thrown out with my last move.
So with that I put a little more effort in and make free standing walls that could make a somewhat more convincing set, this set up really suited me for the last long while. These were a combination of layered card and plastic.
It was simple but effective, though as time went on I was a bit put off by it’s lack of detail, it was all a bit flat, there were features in it that I really loved like the opening doors and such that I wanted to move into my next version.
Diorama building has always been of interest to me, I feel I’m not the only one to feel like this either. I think it stems from a love of old school playsets. There are a few requirements for me when building a set that I like to adhere to. Cost is king, so it has to be as cheap as possible and ideally it needs to be modular so that I can use parts I’ve built to work on other pieces through development. I enjoy using 3D programs and have been developing something to address this for the past couple of months.
The idea is a set of modular wall frames that can be connected in various configurations as desired. These pieces are 3D printed. Making them a frame saves on print material keeping the cost per section down. The frame can then be filled with a printed background. Another benefit of it being a print item from a file saved on my computer is that one can always have more printed.
Each section comes as a kit that needs to be assembled and painted for the desired look. There are sections that act as plain walls and others that act as functioning doors.
Thus far I’ve had one test print created as pictured and await the second iteration of these which I’m really looking forward to as it’ll enable me to create functioning double doors. The new prints will also allow the wall sections to be stacked for taller sets. I’m considering a way to get these files out to folks at present, if you search for 3D printing hubs you’ll find printers who may do this work for a reasonable price, stay away from Shapeways for something like this.
I’ve also been developing another stream on this and await the prints as well, this will be solid walls and connectable floor sections. These I’m hoping to develop for sale, once I have a good prototype I’ll have them molded in resin for batch runs. It’s a little project to keep me busy while I wait for my paperwork to go through.
Once I get the next round of prints cleaned and painted I’ll do a follow up. In the meantime I’d certainly be very interested to hear any feedback on this that others may have.